Every once in a while something from an earlier trip comes to mind, a nice experience. Somehow this always happens when I’m in the shower 🙂 These small moments made the traveling special!
I had a lot of good and different experiences on my arctic circle hike. In no particular order.
- Hiking high up in Norway in the distance I saw a bus stopping and tourists getting out. After 5 minutes I could see all the people were from Asian decent. It was also snowing and the wind was blowing reasonable hard. They saw me coming and I was like a tourist attraction for them. Very tall walking in the middle of nowhere and they wanted to take a picture with me, which was a bit weird, but fun. I’m now probably a holiday story for some families in Japan, where they were from.
- On two other occasions people where taking a picture of me, but in a different way. They drew me on a piece of paper 🙂 The first time was in Copenhagen, at the airport. We were waiting for a plane. I was just messing with my mobile phone when she asked me to make a drawing of me. The second time was in Porto, Portugal. In the evening I was out with some women and the next day one of the women made some sort of a cartoon of all of us.
- When I was there, it was always light, it never got dark. Sleeping was not a problem because you are so tired. Sleeping was a different experience, in particular I had very vivid dreams, they felt so real. I don’t know why exactly but my guess is the combination of being tired, sleeping in a tent and that the air is very clean.
- In the north, the Sami people have reindeer as caddle and they walk around in nature. A fun thing to see is that they weren’t scared for cars. When they were walking on a road, a car would drive up and when the car was very close, the reindeer would walk away very slowly. On the other hand, they are scared for humans. I never got really close to them.
- Well, one time, but they didn’t knew it. I was laying in my tent trying to sleep when I heard a reindeer like 5 metres away from my tent. I was always a sleep and I mumbled “good night” and went to sleep.
There are lots more moments like these and in the future I will write them down.