As you could have read before, for my work I sleep a lot in hotels. For the last 5 years I’ve been sleeping about 150 to 200 nights a year in a hotel, mostly in The Netherlands. I’ve slept in big chain hotels, small hotels, fashion hotels and so on. In my opinion, this qualifies me to give a 5 most irritating things in hotels list.
- The most annoying thing for me is that the hotel just don’t care about you, especially when you sleep in a hotel for a longer time. They don’t have to do anythings special, but it’s important to have a high standard, even the simple things. Cleaning the room, open the curtains. when you stay in a hotel for a longer time, somehow they will start to slack.
- Restaurant staff that don’t know the menu. I’ve had multiple situations that you know the menu better then the person that is serving you. So annoying!
- Pre produced food in the restaurant, especially the sauzes. How hard can it be to make your own guacamole sauze? Or your own hamburgers? I even had pre produced soup! So horrible.
- Out of date bathrooms. I like taking a shower, it’s a relaxing time for me. Last week I’ve slept in a room with an out of date bathroom. The mirror had brown edges, the shower cabin was on it last legs and there was a fixed shower head straight out of the wall. It wasn’t a cheap room, about 100 euro’s a night (110 dollars).
- Going to a new hotel and you will get a room in the worst place. For example, watching out straight into a parking lot, or straight across the elevator. Probably you won’t hear the elevator, but you will here the people that are waiting for the elevator. When you get a room like this, just go back and ask for another room.
There are more annoying things in hotels, but these are for the worst. What about you? Leave a comment!